- An unconditional offer of acceptance at an independent school
- Proof that you will be able to financially support yourself in the UK and pay for your education
- The consent of a parent or guardian to study in the UK which must be shown when an application is submitted
You can begin the application process from 6 months before the start of the course from outside the UK and the average time to hear a decision is around 3 weeks.
If you are applying from within the UK, you can begin the application process from 3 months before your course starts and within 28 days of your current visa expiring. The average time to receive a decision is within 8 weeks.
After hearing a decision, the length of time you will be allowed to stay is dependent on your age at the time of your application.
- Under 16: Course length (up to 6 years) and an additional 4 months.
- 16- 17 years: Course length (up to 3 years) and an additional 4 months.
Following the expiry of this visa, you may be eligible to extend your visa to continue your studies.
If applying from outside the UK, the Home Office charges £363 whereas to extend or switch to a Child Student visa from inside the UK, the Home Office charges £490 in addition to the healthcare surcharge fees. This fee is dependent on the validity period of your visa.
Once a visa is granted:
There are certain permissions and restrictions on what you are allowed to do during your stay in the UK.
Over 16s can work:
- Part time during term time (up to 10 hours per week)
- Full time during school holidays
- On a work placement as part of your course but ensure this is less than 50% of the time of your course.
You may not:
- Study at an academy or local-authority funded school or higher education institution
- Resort to public funds (welfare or benefits)
- Accept full time permanent work or be self-employed
- Work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
- Apply for settlement
- Bring other family members
Should you wish to bring your parents with you, they will need to apply for Parent of a Child Student visa.
If you require any further information or you would like to make an application for a Child Student visa, please do not hesitate to contact one of our lawyers.
Call 0203 815 8440 to book an appointment.