To be eligible for this visa, you must:
- Be sponsored by your employer who will provide you a certificate of sponsorship to prove they are sponsoring you
- Prove you can speak and understand English
- Have personal savings to be able to support yourself when you arrive in the UK
- Show you can travel and your travel history for the last 5 years
- Have tuberculosis test results if you are from a listed country
You are eligible to apply up to 3 months before the start of your work in the UK, which is stated on your certificate of sponsorship.
If you are applying from outside the UK, you will usually get a decision from the Home Office within 3 weeks or 8 weeks if you are applying from inside the UK.
The visa is usually granted for up to 3 years with a possibility to extend if the eligibility requirements remain fulfilled. Once 5 years of continuous residence in the UK have been fulfilled, you may be eligible to settle permanently in the UK by applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Permissions and restrictions
You are permitted to:
- Work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- Perform a second job in certain circumstances
- Play for your national team in the UK
- Work as a sports broadcaster
- Do voluntary work
- Study as long as it does not interfere with the job you are sponsored for
- Travel abroad and return to the UK
- Bring your partner and children with you as your dependents if they are eligible
- Resort to public funds
- Start or run a business
- Apply for a second job until you have started working for your sponsor
If you require any further information or you would like to make an application for an International Sportsperson visa, please do not hesitate to contact one of our lawyers.
Call 0203 815 8440 to book an appointment.