- You must be 16 or over.
- Proof of consent from parents if you are 16 or 17
- You must pay any fee and Immigration Health Charge
- Have sufficient funds to support yourself and pay for your course
- For courses in London you will need to show you have £1,334 per month
- For courses outside of London you will need to show you have £1,023 per month
- You will need to prove that you have any extra funds for each dependent you bring with you.
- You must prove your knowledge of English Language, you can do this by doing the following:
- Passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider shown in the link below
- Having a GCSE, A-Level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, received from studies in a school within the UK prior to turning 18.
Switching to this visa
You cannot switch to this visa if you have one of the visas mentioned below:
- A visitor visa
- A short term student visa
- A Parent of a Child Student visa
- A seasonal worker visa
- A domestic worker in a private household visa
- Leave outside the immigration rules
If you are over 18 and studying at degree level you will be able to stay in the UK for a period of 5 years.
If your course is below degree level, you will be able to stay in the UK for up to 2 years.
If you are eligible, you will have the option to extend your visa such as for the purposes of continuing your studies.
You will also be able to switch to a graduate visa after successfully completing your course, and with the graduate visa you will be able to stay in the UK for a further 2 years.
You will need to pay the visa fee of £348 if you are applying from outside the UK
If you are applying to extend or switch to a Student visa from inside the UK, you will need to pay the visa fee of £475.
You must pay the relevant visa fee for any dependents who will be joining you in the UK.
You will also be required to pay the Healthcare Surcharge as part of your application.
To check how much you will have to pay you can use the calculation service linked below.
Points Scoring Requirement
You must be awarded a total of 70 points.
A total of 50 points will be awarded for all of the below categories:
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies requirement
- Course requirement
- Approved qualification requirement
- Level of study requirement
- Place of study requirement
10 points will be awarded per category below:
- Financial requirement
- English language requirement
Applying for a Student Visa?
We at Ashton Ross Law are considered as one of the leading Immigration law firms in the UK with a high success rate in securing visas for our clients. Our team of solicitors can help you secure a Student Visa by working closely with you to ensure that your application is successful. We can prepare your application and deal with all related matters such as applying to the relevant endorsement body and submitting your application to the Home Office.
You can speak directly with our solicitors to arrange a free consultation on 020 3815 8440.